Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Penny Saved

So my sister has had a gigantic jar full of coins in her possession for, oh I don't know how long. I think it actually belonged to my brother before he went on his mission.  It looks like the one in this picture, except about 5 times as large, or perhaps the height of your knee if it is resting on the floor.  


For about a year, people have thrown their spare change in the oversized jar of coins.  Admittedly, from time to time I went and retrieved quarters from it for snacks or what have you. Quarters, you see, are the most prized because they are more valuable per coin and take up less space, etc.  When the urge for a candy bar strikes, who wants to put 75 pennies in the vending machine when you can swiftly put 3 quarters in the slot?  

Over time, the level of coins rose and rose until it got too heavy to even tip over in hopes of a few quarters rolling out the top.  The amount of quarters grew too, because I was stealing them less.  I didn't want to risk tipping the thing over, breaking it open, and having 200 pounds of coins and broken glass lying at my feet.  

Recently my sister, who has an upcoming wedding and all the expenses that come along with it, decided to cash in the coins to see if there was any value to the months of saving spare change. She took the coins to the bank, breaking one bag strap on the way there from the weight of the coins. I was curious how much it would all be worth.  A few hundred dollars, tops, I thought.  The final amount?  $457.  I was shocked.  $457 simply from taking the extra change out of your purse and throwing it into a jar once in a while? Ridiculous.

So now I am in the market for an oversized-jar-of-coins-and-happiness of my own.

3 comments:

Kateka said...

Me and Stu did this while we were dating, any time we had any $1 bills we would add them to the jar. We cashed in, like Cassie, for our wedding and had about $250. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it sure meant a lot to us. We need to start doing that again....

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! My hubby has a little jar he puts all his excess change in. Once it gets full, he cashes it out and there is usually over $20 in there. Not a lot of money, but it buys us dinner! :)

Nemesis said...

My dad keeps a change jar, and when we kids would go home for Christmas the big project was to sort all the change and package it in those little cylinder paper change holders (official name). It was usually enough to take us all out to dinner.

That's so cool for your sister.