I have to admit, it was a very captivating movie. I can see why it is so popular. And I may even have to read the novels. I've been needing a good novel to read (although I've heard that the Twilight books aren't good per-say, but just very attention-grabbing). On the other (negatively opinioned, as some might say) hand, I can see why it is so popular. Terribly bland and run of the mill girl captures the attention of the terribly hot bad boy, who lusts after her and admits he can hardly control his desire to ravish her. This is the secret fantasy of every girl ever (especially Mormon girls). No wonder the novels/movie are so popular. As my sister says, Twilight is "Mormon girl porn."
And yes, I realize the movies/novels are fantasy and fiction, and that he never does ravish her, but isn't there something disturbing about the fact that she falls in love (lust???) with him, not in spite of, but BECAUSE OF the fact that he admits he can barely control his urge to murder her? It's like a more creepy variation of rape fantasy. And yes, I said variation, so don't attack me and say "Twilight is not about sex!" I know it's not. Note that the second sentence of that link describes it as "...imagining themselves as so irresistible and unattainable that their attacker must let loose their animalistic instincts." Sound familiar, like um, the entire plot of Twilight? It seems to me that it is something very related to the fantasy of having someone want you so bad, they can barely control themselves (i.e. rape fantasy). And you have to admit, the sexual overtones of the movie were VERY apparent, throughout the whole thing. And needless to say, if Twilight is so popular, doesn't that say something about the fantasies of the thousands who love it? I've heard that rape fantasy is relatively common, and even more common in women than in men. Makes sense, since most of the Twilight fans are women. But who am I to say? Maybe it's just the beauty of Edward Cullen. If I were Bella, don't know if I could resist the irresistible either.
6 comments:
Tagged you! Glance at my blog, if you please.
That is totally awesome, I had never even thought of it like that but I think you are completely right! It must be the psych major in you coming out, but it totally makes sense.
There is something about vampires. They are all sensuality and animal desire. We are totally turned on by them. Lost Boys, Interview with a Vampire, Buffy's Angel(Swoon Swoon)Van Helsing on and on. . . And these books are totally about sex. And the relationship is disgustingly unhealthy. And I giggled through the whole movie at Edward's digestive issues facial expressions and Jaspers wide eyed robot impression. And I love them books movie and all except for the last book which really really really really sucked.
If you read Stephanie Myers other book, "the host" you will see she also enjoys the concept of pedophilia. There are two relationships that feature a 15 or 16 year old girl, and a man in his late 20's or early 30's. What is up with that?
Holy cow. This actually makes sense. I completely agree. I know that I've wanted to literally be smashed up against a wall because I am wanted so bad. Like the fight/sex scene in Mr. & Mrs. Smith... A bit TMI? Oh well. I don't care.
Finally someone who said it exactly the way I think it!
and, I too have that "shun-it-cuz-its-popular" disease, but. . . I succumbed
Post a Comment