Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Yadda Yadddda

Let's see. Doing Ok so far on my resolutions. Have lost 6 pounds, so 14 more to go. Haven't read scriptures every night but am pretty darn close to reading them every night. The stake gave out a little guide to get through the BOM in one year, so I've been following that. It's nice. It probably isn't the ideal way to read- by going by a certain number of pages per night- but I suppose it is better than not reading at all. This is helping me get into the habit so that when I am there (i.e. perfect) I will read by inspiration rather than by page number.

My ward is amazing. There is absolutely zero potential for anything romantic or even casual in terms of dating, but the spirit is there, the people are good people, and it's where I'm supposed to be. I love sitting in class and feeling buoyed and full of questions and insight rather than bored and playing games on my phone. I'm trying to make the most out of things, etc.

My boy turns 1 on Friday. I simply cannot believe that it has been a year. He's an amazing boy and learning all the time. I love watching his curious mind at work. I'm making him an applique onesie with a big colorful 1 and a fuzzy cupcake with a candle, and my mom is making him a gooey chocolate cake to tear into. It's going to be a joint party for Benjamin, who turns 1 on the 5th, and my dad, who turns 60 on the 10th. I'm excited.


My brother comes home from a mission in 4 months. Can't wait. He's never met my son. I think they will get along. My brother informed me in a letter that he would influence my son to become a WOW addict like him. Not if I have anything to do with that, hehe. But I hope they are friends. Here are some recent mission photos:


I saw my college roommates a few weeks ago. I tell you, seeing them is like a breath of fresh air. It invigorated my soul, if you will. One of my roommates I've had sort of a falling out with. Not so much a fight falling out, but more of a "I've moved on with my life" falling out. After her mission, I tried for months to call her and talk, or to invite her to hang out, etc. but when (IF) she ever responded, it was always days later and without care. She was my best friend in high school and college. She was the friend who you were absolutely confident would be your best soul friend forever, someone who was connected to your hip. So I was devastated when she stopped putting forth the effort. So I stopped too. And two years passed. And then finally a couple weeks ago, we hung out, along with my 2 other former roommates who I have maintained friendships with. It was fascinating how we all just sort of fell back into our old rolls. It felt like no time had passed at all since we were in college. It made me happy. I know I won't be best-bud-palsy-walsy friends with my falling out friend, but it was very good for my psyche to know she is still her and still my friend, if from a distance.


I am becoming such a hippie. The way I am losing weight and feeling better is by being in touch with my body (said with flowing arm movements and flowers in my long unkempt hippie hair). You can now insert finger into throat to initiate gag reflex. I kid, I kid. No offense to the tree huggers out there. But being "in touch with my body" is basically just noticing how I am feeling in terms of hunger. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am not hungry, I don't eat. When I am almost full, I stop eating. When I am tired, I sleep. When I have an excess of energy, I put on ankle weights and take a take a big walk with my baby in the stroller. It's mostly just being aware of what my body needs. I like this method much better than calorie counting. It was effective, but it was a major pain the butt and so tedious.

Anything else? I'm horrible at keeping up with blog, clearly. My apologies. Oh yeah, I saw Avatar and Sherlock Holmes, both of which I would highly recommend. Sherlock is a little dark in parts, but very clever and has a great soundtrack. Avatar is visually amazing. I saw it in 3-D and was very impressed. I just finished a book called Little Bee, by Chris Cleave. Would not recommend that. The writing was very good (I am in love with metaphors and similes, which are bountiful in this book; metaphors and similes make my person expand with childlike giddiness) but the whole story was just so dang heavy that it made it hard to enjoy the writing. Oh well, onto bigger and better things.

Tata for now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Benjie in 2 days! Woot-woot for Feb. 5 baby boys! I am trying to decide what kind of cake to make for the Beets. Leaning towards trying out some sort of mint-chocolate-chip ice cream cake with chocolate cake... Mmmmm... After all, the first birthday is more for the Mom than the baby. So yes, I will have my cake, and rejoice that it is this year and not last year; and accordingly I am eating cake instead of giving birth.

Nice entry. I laughed out loud at the colorful bit about being "in touch with your body."

Barefoot Cassandra said...

At least it was not said with flowing arm movements and flowers in your long unkempt hippie apm pit hair!

racharooo said...

Hey! Way to go with the resolutions! I haven't even had the motivation to make resolutions, let alone keep them :) I am bidding on a stationary bike on ebay as we speak though!
And a big fat happy birthday to Benjamin! He's so adorable with those cheeks. I can't believe our kids are already 1, because I'm barely getting used to the idea that I have a kid at all. Put some birthday pictures up, I'd love to see them.

Kateka said...

Thanks for putting up pics of Joseph. I can't believe what a "man" (I feel weird writing that) he is.

You are so pretty. I love the "hippie" body thing you are doing. I think what works for one person may not work for another which is why all plans don't work on everyone. I think listening to YOUR body is very best.

And HA, HA to cassie's comment. :)

Cassie said...

Love the catching up post. It was heavenly to see you in Layton and at Benjamins birthday. You are a delight, Sarah Jean. I love "falling back into old roles" with you. Kisses kisses kisses!