
The Higher Power of Lucky caught my eye because it was on the "Get a backbone... read a BANNED BOOK!" display table at the library. The Newberry Award Winner seal on the cover caught my other eye. I was doubly intrigued. I didn't read that far into it to discover why it was banned. The word "scrotum" was on the first page. I've heard that that is a tip for authors- create an enticing opening for the reader to hook them. Case in point some examples:
"Where's Papa going with that ax?"
"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano BuendÃa was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."
"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."
All are interesting openers for sure. As was this one. While "scrotum" is quite shocking to see in print, especially in a book written for kids 9-12, it definitely pulls the (at least somewhat older and more knowledgeable) reader in.
The book was very modern and gritty, bringing up topics about the foster system, parents who die/ abandon their kids/ are in jail. But it was also very sweet, and sometimes gave me a little tug in my chest. I love books that do that. It means I've grown to love the characters. Was a quick read and I'm glad I read it.
2 comments:
Interesting. I will have to pick it up and read it!
BOOBS.
(I am just doing like the book and trying to get your attention in my comment. :)
Post a Comment