Thus, the crisis of a decision.
So I have a little no-named feller, or BenjiNoah, if you will. And in the week that he has had no name, I've felt Benjamin grow on me a little more. He got his first piece of mail from the insurance company, with Benjamin J. M_________ in the little envelope window, and I may or may not have cried a little when I saw it. It finally DID seem right.
My aunt told me, "You know, I couldn't call my babies by their names. It didn't feel right to me either. "
"Really?" I asked her. "What did you call them?"
"Baby."
"Wow," I said, feeling a little better about my indecision. "When did you start calling them by their name?"
"When they would look at me and respond to me," she said.
"How did you know what their name was going to be then?" I asked her.
"Well, you pick a name you like- one that goes well with your last name," she said.
"So your babies didn't necessarily 'fit' a name then?" I asked.
"No, they didn't fit the name. It had to grow on them, and me."
So I am letting the baby remain nameless for the time being (a week or so). I look at the little guy, call him "Benjamin" and feel a little more comfortable about it. But it is not set in stone. I suppose "Baby" is what fits him best for now. And perhaps I will just have to pick a name, even though he doesn't fit it or any other name, and let him grow into it. And in that case, Benjamin seems to be the best fit.
8 comments:
I always planned for Lil to go by Elisabeth a good portion of the time, I thought I'd call her "Lilybeth" sometimes to fill the gap but I just couldn't do it. Elisabeth was such a big name for such a little baby. I didn't call her Lily much when she was tiny either, mostly I called her baby or girl or baby girl
Skinny Skinny...
You can call that little feller whatever you want to call him. You made him. No need to explain.
I sometimes look at Elli and think-I could have named you this-or this...
Sometimes she looks like a different name. We just tried to choose a name that meant something to us so that when she asked why we named her that- we would be able to tell her... So that she would have a legacy to carry on...footsteps to follow..you know what I mean. A name fits a baby-it grows on them. It becomes them.
Just find a name you love. A name that makes you feel good. a name that you can tell your son you thought about and pictured him carrying on. He is handsome even if you named him the worst name ever. He really is so cute. Post some more pics would you? Love you.
I totally understand your dilemma. We had Sierra's named picked out for her before she was born and then once we saw her, she looked nothing like a Sierra. So the whole time we were in the hospital, we tried to figure out another name for her, but nothing came up. Finally, the day we went home, we filled out her birth certificate with Sierra and called her "Baby" for months until she finally started looking like her name. Now I can't think of anything that would have fit her better, but your aunt is right, they do grow into their name.
I didn't have a name for more than a month - literally. It was between Samantha and Carly. Take as much time as you need and change it a million times if you have to! You'll find the right one. When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Benjamin. And remember, you always have his middle name to fall back on. :) You are great.
I Have called the little girl I nanny (whose given name is Emma) Teenie and or baby for the past four years. When I refer to her sometimes I just say, "the baby." I think it is hard to give a name to something when they are so small. They have to grow into a name.
The entire time I was pregnant and even before, I new Jonas was the name for my first boy. After he was born and people kept giving me funny looks and asking me if I meant Jonah, I started to worry. Now it is perfect. Same with Kate. Worried it didn't fit either. When I went to the dr. office the first time and they called her name, it felt weird. I think the name just has to grow on you and the kid. Pretty soon that is who they are and it couldn't be any other way.
I think I will be the same way. I can never seem to call anything by its proper name. Any animal is called what it is, dog, cat, or in some lucky cases "baby". So "Baby" sits well with me. But so does Benjamin.
Ha, ha, ha. Outputted. I don't know what I was thinking. That words seems more closely related to 'punted' than 'discharged'. So, yeah. You were punted out of the hospital.
Post a Comment