but I so prefer the innocent, sweet-hearted testimonies typical of children (example from today- "I'm thankful for the spirit so that I'm not scared at night when it gets dark") to the fire and brimstone doom-to-us-all typical of some adults (example from today- "The economy is terrible and we are seeing signs of the second coming. Make the choice to get your lives right and get food storage, or you'll be one of the ones to suffer come the approaching day when there is no more food and everything is in chaos").
Sheesh. Am I the only one tired of hearing how the world is going to hell? And especially in church, when the tone of things is meant to be hopeful, rather than full of doom and gloom? Sometimes I just prefer to believe the scariest things are those that could get you in the dark.
2 comments:
I completely agree. I heard testimonies about the economy and how we need to be ready and I guess I just don't like hearing it. I also feel that in these times I would rather hear words of encouragement and happy things then words that will just bring my spirit down more. So here a saying of happy times from a little Karson, "We need to go to sleep, the morning is waiting for us."
Oh you should have heard the activity that they hosted for the young men and women. The bishop bore his testimony about it. Eeeeegads. At this activity they had several choices for the youth, i.e. clorox the nursery toys, write letters to the missionaries, play Dance, Dance Revolution, and bob for apples. Well if you chose to play Dance, Dance and bob for apples you got O's on your tic tac toe gamecard. If you did the service projects you got X's. The bishop said some kids actually didn't want anything on their gamecards. In the end the "good" kids with X's went to the celestial kingdom, the kids that played the games went to the telestial kingdom and the kids that didn't do anything...well they went to outer darkness. For teenage kids that struggle with self-esteem anyway, I wonder the effect of that lovely activity. I realized that I have been playing Dance, Dance Revolution my whole life and bobbing for apples and will go to the telestial kingdom. One little girl did bear testimony and said "I want my family to love me" and her father immediately testified that her family did love her. It was cute.
Post a Comment