Friday, August 15, 2008

A Little Obsessed

So I've become more than a little obsessed with the Olympics. I come home from work, plop down on the couch with some fresh cut cucumbers and salt (so incredibly yummy in the summer) and watch at least an hour of the Olympics every night. I love the women's gymnastics, but not a fan of the blatantly underage Chinese girls.


Do they really think they can fool us into thinking they are 16? Come on. Nice example China, host the Olympics and but break the rules to give yourselves an advantage. That being said, if they were actually playing by the rules, they totally deserved the group gold medal. They are good little gymnasts.

And that Michael Phelps? Wow. He wins gold every race he swims, and shatters all sorts of world and Olympic records each time he does so. He swims so far ahead of anyone he is competing against, I can't help but think he's a freak of nature (in a good way). At each medal ceremony, the camera focuses in on his mom, Debbie, sitting in the audience, who cries every time he stands up there as the American anthem plays so proudly. It chokes me up a little each time I see that.


Tonight, after he had another gold, he tossed his red bouquet up to his mom in the audience. It was so cute. I'm such a sucker for the emotion, pride and triumph associated with the Olympics. This commercial that plays all the time always does me in. Whatever emotion-twisting marketing strategies Visa used for this commercial, they worked. Tears come to my eyes every single time I see it.



For another inspiring little short video, go to http://usa.visa.com/microsites/goworld/?ep=v_sym_goworld and click on "Derek Redmond" as it passes.

4 comments:

Kateka said...

Oh my goodness. I am totally obsessed with the Olympics right now. I have watched a MINIMUM of 2 hours a day. I absolutely adore the picture that you have of Michael Phelps with his mother. How adorable is that. Even though he is the most amazing Olympian ever, you can tell that he is still so pleased to have made his mother proud, instead of being some cocky A-hole. Love him. Thanks for posting the Visa site too. I watched all the videos and love each of them.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing about China's gymnastic team. Totally unfair.

kristen said...

Amen to that post skinny jones. It's a saturday and Gabe and I have a million and a half things to do around the house, yard, etc. However we have been watching the olympics now for a good ten hours straight. We can't get enough of it. It is so inspiring and exciting. Love those olympians.

Cassie said...

Start my day crying like a baby at that commercial!
... so cute.