Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I was working in the office last Friday when a blind woman came into to be seen. She brought with her a seeing-eye dog, which led her into the room. She was an absolute delight to talk to. And I am the shyest creature ever around strangers. I sat and talked to her until the doctor came, which is unusual for me, since I am still getting used to the job and generally escape to the office room once I've settled the patient in.
"I haven't been into the office in years!" She said. "You are one of the daughters of the doctor?"
"Yep," I said.
"Now, are you the one who used to dance?"
"Yeah that was me!" I said, surprised. "We used to go to Las Vegas once a year for my dance team to compete."
"Now, I remember your dad talking about that! They loved making that trip to Vegas," She said.

My dad treated her, and she was nothing but friendly and charming. On her way out, my dad said to her, "You know, you are really an inspiration. You've had so many potential setbacks, but yet you lead your life with such a good attitude. You're quite the example to us."

I rolled my eyes, thinking, "She probably gets that all the time." She seemed flustered a bit, thanked the doctor for his service, and left.

About twenty minutes later as I was working on the deposit, I heard the doctor answer the phone. It was the woman who had come in. She was crying, and told him she was so touched by what he had said to her. "No one has ever said that to me," she told him. "You are the first one to say such a kind thing." I stood up and walked over to the door and listened. As I eavesdropped to him again assuring her what an example she was, I realized I was crying too. I was touched that she was touched. These days, it seems so incredibly rare that I witness someone see the goodness in someone else and be proud to tell them that. I'm so used to people telling each other what they are doing wrong and what things they need to work on in their life. Why are we so scared to tell the good people in our lives that they live quality lives and that we admire them for that? The moments when I see someone recognize the quality of another person's life are the times when I am so proud to be part of the human race, as cheesy as that sounds. It's so true though. There are so many incredible people, and I am always too willing to find the fault, rather than the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its nice to see your not completely satanic.. JK! this brought a teardrop to my eye. Thanks for writing about something worth while, to show that mankind actually has some good in it.


M3xic0 4 life N!gg@s :DDD

Kateka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kateka said...

The funny thing is that so many of us want to say nice things, but for whatever reason hold back and don't because we think the person will feel stupid, or we feel embarrassed when someone else is paid a compliment. We humans sure are crazy sometimes. I love that your dad said that, like I said on Saturday, your family is like the nicest family I know, and I think a lot of that stems from your pops.

Aubrey said...

I just love patients like that! There was one woman battling cancer for the third time, and I had to go into dressing room to cry for a minute after she left. It's amazing the inspirational people that God sends into our lives to touch us, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can say that there are many people around you who love you. We are often our harshest judge. Try to always keep in mind, you are more than you think you are.