Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Race

The stakes have been upped. The race is now on. The sweat is dripping down the brow of the paternal parental figure who, under the intense pressure of having two unwed and ever aging daughters, upped the wages last December after he was given a free bathroom scale. "Whoever gets married first gets the bathroom scale!" We just laughed. Then today he threw this into the atmosphere: "Whoever gets married first gets $1,000!" I was reminded of my junior year in college when, during Mother's Week at BYU-I, I overheard my roommate's mom offer her $1,000 if she would lose 20 pounds.

"Wait a second. You are giving $1,000, apart from wedding and reception fees, no strings attached, to the person who gets to the alter first?" I asked, slightly intrigued.

He smiled and nodded, and the first thought I had was, "Hello elopement!"

It's sometimes funny, sometimes disheartening to see the lengths at which people will go to have you satisfy the image they have of you. I am not complete, whole, or even healthy as an individual until I have a ring on my finger, apparently. It was funny at first but now it's just making me mad.

3 comments:

.::still blinking::. said...

That is not really worth it.

If it was upped to $10,000 perhaps that would be worth considering.

jj said...

$10,000 is nice, but throw in 8 cows and it is even better.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I blog-stalked your blog off of Emma's blog, whose I got off Melissa's blog (her friend)... Anyways, I am an author and am writing a book about just what you are saying! It was hard enough being single and dealing with my own longings without everyone else seeing me tainted unti I was married! Like I needed that on my self-esteem plate! Anyways, I don't have any condolences, just "here here!"