Friday, November 09, 2007

True to the Essence

I was Tinker Bell for Halloween, which makes for the same character two years in a row. This year took quite a lot of work though. I decided to make my costume this year, whereas last year I simply safety-pinned a block of raw material together, threw on some wings, and called it good.

This year however, I sewed the entire costume, spray painted my 9th grade ballet slippers lime green, bought a wig, and doused myself in glitter. I was more true to the essence of Tink this year, but it was so much work.

When I volunteered on Halloween, I put on my costume and a cardigan over the top (thought I would model modesty for the kids and then be a hypocrite and go sleeveless for my party later that night). The playground was full of Jack Sparrows, Spidermans, Disney princesses, and an Optimus Prime. All day I felt tiny hands tugging on my wings. I would turn around, and they would ask, "Are you Tinker Bell?"
"I sure am. What's your costume?" and they would proudly display it.

The kids trick-or-treated to the other classrooms in the center, and glued plastic eyes and bits of feathers and paper to mini pumpkins. We read them Halloween stories.

When the day was over and the buses came to pick up the kids, I said bye to them. "I'll see you tomorrow! Have fun trick-or-treating tonight!"

One boy suddenly turned toward the wall, his arms folded, and a huge frown on his pouty face. "I don't want you to go," he said to me.
"Why not buddy?" I asked.
"'Cause I love you," he pouted through his frown.

My heart broke into pieces, and I hugged him. "Will you be thinking of me?" he asked, genuinely, looking into my eyes.
"Of course I will. I will be thinking about you and that you'll have so much fun trick-or-treating with your family."
He took my hand, and we walked to the bus.

It always surprises and pleases me how honest and genuine kids are. But it breaks my heart that so many of them have to come to this place because they don't have the caring and capable adult in their lives. I watch every day to see how my group leaders respond to the kids and how they teach them freedom with limits, and love.

1 comment:

Kateka said...

Oh Sarah. This is so darling. I bet all the little boys think they are going to marry you one day. :)