Thursday, September 27, 2007

Good place to start

Today I went to a volunteer orientation for The Children's Center, where I will be volunteering 3 hours a day, 4 days per week, with behaviorally and emotionally troubled kids. Volunteering is one of the requirements for my graduation, but when I went today and learned about what I will be doing, I got so excited, and I haven't been excited about anything in months really. I have so much to learn and observe about how to really listen to kids and communicate with them, how to handle tantrums, how to model good behavior, etc. I'm so excited. Working with kids in an influential way and helping them take control of their lives is what I want to do with my life. Of course I don't want to be a volunteer forever, but this will give me lots of good experience and ideas about where to head out from here.

1 comment:

Kateka said...

Sarah, I am so proud of you! I think you will do a great job with the kids. They will love you of course too. As a kid I always loved the really young pretty people who would help me with stuff. So not only will they love you because of your wonderful and charming personality, but they will think you are beautiful too. :)