Friday, July 06, 2007

Mum's Birthday

My sleeping habits have become crazy. Any given night I don't get to sleep until 1 or 2. Tonight it's 4. Last night I had good intentions about my bedtime but then was sucked in by a book I'm reading called Atonement by Ian McEwan. His writing is so sensual and I don't even think he means for it to be. For example, he describes a girl eating a piece of candy...
"They watched her tongue turn green as it curled around the edges of the candy casing. Paul Marshall sat back in the armchair, watching her closely over the steeple he made with his hands in front of his face.
He crossed and uncrossed his legs. Then he took a deep breath. "Bite it," he said softly. "You've got to bite it."
It cracked loudly as it yielded to her unblemished incisors, and there was revealed the white edge of the sugar shell, and the dark chocolate underneath it."
Who knew eating chocolate could be so sexy? It only got better from there, so I had to stay up reading, naturally.

On a different note, my mom had her birthday party a week ago before they went on vacation to Las Vegas. We went to a Mexican restaurant called Don Antonio's where the owner, a friend of my parents, made my mom wear a birthday sombrero and brought out free fried ice cream.

My grandparents (my dad's parents) came and celebrated with us.
My grandparents are lovely people. When I was a begrudging teenager, I used to be bitter about my relationship with my grandparents, but as I've spent more time with them, I've come to love them so much, especially my grandma Rae. Each time I spend time with her and hear her tell stories about her life, my respect grows for her. While at the restaurant, I kept my ears pealed for whenever she spoke. One time she said to my mom, "Do you like my new purse?" and then leaned over and whispered secretively "I got one for you," and then they laughed like they were high school friends telling an intimate, hilarious secret. I laughed too and loved my grandma so much in that short moment.

1 comment:

.::still blinking::. said...

I love your grandparents as well. I think of them as my own.