My birds have ganged up on their baby (the beautiful white one). They attack her and peck out her feathers and refuse to feed her. It's awful to watch. Why would they do that? I called the animal hospital and they said it could be a number of things: 1) The white bird may be male, and this creates tension in the cage because Finn wants to be the only male, or 2) stressful environment like a cat preying on them, or 3) birds commonly attack the weakest animal so as to let the stronger animals survive.
I get the feeling the last option is the right one- that the birds would kill their weakest baby. If they were humans, they would be in jail at this point. I can't imagine why they hurt the baby. They chase it around the cage and peck at it viciously. I bought a small cage for it today and have been feeding it from a syringe a few times. The poor thing pecks at me as if she doesn't realize her parents are the real enemies. It breaks my heart.
1 comment:
I have seen little baby chicks do this to each other before. It is sad, kind of like teenagers.
Post a Comment