Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Lesson Learned

Yes, I have learned my lesson when it comes to buying birds on a whim. It is never good to impulsively buy a pet of any kind, especially noisy birds.

We have 5 birds at our house. The beautiful white bird became the object of abuse by Finn and so we had to purchase yet another cage to separate him from his abusive father. While the other two baby birds have now learned to feed themselves and are acting like grown-ups, this white ones screeches, SCREECHES, all day, every day, for his mother to still feed him. Whenever I go in the room, thoughts of murder come to the brain.

I want to let them go but everyone says they will die within a day. My argument is this- they are birds and if they know anything, it is how to peck food off the ground to survive, and to screech. Blah. I know I should have thought about this when I purchased a fertile female finch on a random whim.

To add to the delight of the situation, I came in today and there was another egg in the nest. Without a second thought, I plucked it from the nest and threw it into the trash can. A few hours later, my roommate's fiance Gabe asked if the bird would hatch in the garbage can. "No way. It needs warmth to hatch," and I went to fetch the little egg out of the garbage can so we could look at it. It had a crack in it, a sure sign of death. Gabe was holding the egg and it broke open...in his hand. We shrieked and were sure there would be a baby bird body inside the egg. There was just a yoke like there are in chicken eggs. The only difference was it was about 20x smaller than a normal egg. I think it will be quite a while before I consider making a scrambled egg.

P.S. Anyone want a free bird? Or five of them?

No comments: