Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I apologize for the lack of posts. Just been a little busy and preoccupied. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago, and in that time period has had three separate surgeries. We've all been worried about her and trying to help her, in addition to learning how to cope with it ourselves. The world entire changes when someone close to you is diagnosed with cancer. But she has had more support than imagined. She gets regular phone calls, visits, treats, cards, etc. Family members put her name on the prayer list at the temple on a regular basis. We (including extended family, cousins, etc) are going to do the breast cancer walk for her. My cousin Kateka, who has always had long, thick, beautiful hair, is going to chop it all off and donate it when my mom loses her hair.

The support and prayers are overflowing. It brings about a feeling of awe and love.

My mom is one kick-ass lady. She's loving and compassionate and hilarious and silly. She was up and working within three days after each surgery. The cancer did spread to one lymph node, but not to other parts of her body, so chances are, she will end up recovering fully from this. But still, you can't help but worry and feel sick at the thought of losing someone you love.

6 comments:

Barowdwngs said...

I'm sorry to hear that. She's in my prayers as well now.

Tazia said...

I love your mom. She is my other mother. She has such a great attitude about this hole thing and said to my mom, "I only have enough energy for one emotion and so I am choosing to be happy."

Julie Lynn said...

I'm so sorry about your mom! I'm glad you are all trying to keep in good spirits and hope things go well.

Julie Lynn

Kateka said...

Your mom is amazing. Like I've said before there is just no way possible that she won't be this. Seriously. I just know it.

Meg said...

of geez sarah... i'm so sorry. oh i hate cancer. i'm sorry that your mom has to go through this and that you all have to go through it as well. hang in there...

Cassie said...

I hope your mom is doing well, Sarah. You will be in my prayers. I love you.