Friday, May 29, 2009

In about a week, Benjamin will be 4 months old. I haven't really written about him as his own little person yet, because he's been a newborn and newborns usually just seem all the same to me until a few months old at least. That, and I've been focusing on the cute/awkward poses he makes. Hilarious, but insubstantial. Here are some things I've learned about him over these 4 months:

-He is incredibly observant. He loves to look at anything and everything around him with big, wide eyes. I love that he has big eyes because I have slits for eyes and am glad he didn't inherit that from me. I hope that as he ages, they will remain big and curious about the world.

-My favorite features about him are his eyebrows and his chin. I don't know. They are just really cute.

-He is tall (75%) and skinny (25%).

-He no longer crosses his eyes when trying to focus on something. His eyes have developed so that he can look at things without crossing his eyes and he follows the movement of objects (even quick movements).

-He loves to touch his face. By "touch," I mean "insert a finger into" and by "face" I mean "eye socket." There are times when I will be startled by the abrupt sound of his screaming and wonder what has happened until a few minutes later one of his eyes turns red. Sometimes I literally have to hold his hands away from his face to prevent him from jamming a finger into his eyeball.

-He loves his vibrating bouncer but he loves to be held even more. 

-He loves, loves, loves to be naked. I sometimes think he is happiest when he has a diaper change or takes a bath. I'm kind of hoping he'll be one of those toddlers who refuses to wear clothes and runs around naked.

-I really think he will be shy or soft spoken. He will smile at someone, but then immediately bury his head in my shoulder or turn away.

-He has recently discovered his left hand. It is always either being sucked on, or is balled up and resting in the crook between his chin and chest. I once wondered, "Why does he do that?" and then found myself doing the same thing- left fist under chin- while browsing the computer one day.

-He's a grunter.  He grunts when he's sleeping, sleepy, pooping, or eating.  So pretty much all the time.

-His fingernails grow at an incredible rate. I have to clip them about once every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, otherwise those face loving fingers of his will scratch his face or poke an eyeball.

-He has monkey toes. On each foot, the big toe and the long one next to it have so much space between them, I can easily fit a finger in between them. My sister Cassie has joked that most people can reach an octave on the piano from their pinkie to thumb, but Benjamin can reach an octave from his big toe to the one next to it.

-He is a boy for sure. He toots like a grown person and after he eats, he often burps big, loud burps before I even get him in the burping position.

-He can sleep a seven hour stretch now and will be starting solid food soon.

-He loves the outdoors, and is fascinated by the lawn mower.

-If I can tell he is tired, usually I will just wrap him up and lie him down and he will go to sleep on his own. Sometimes though, I like to hold him against me until he falls asleep and let him sleep against my chest. These are some of my favorite times.

-He loves his grandparents and aunts. It is so convenient and helpful to have others in the house to watch him when I need a break, and they are more than willing to watch him.

-He can reach for things now, grab them, and put them in his mouth. Everything that he grasps goes immediately into his mouth. And if nothing is in hand's reach, the left fist always finds it's way there. Sometimes it seems like his mouth and his left hand operate as a team but separate from him. He will be doing his own thing, looking around, and the mouth and fist will come together like magnets and he doesn't even seem to realize it! It's funny to watch.

-He finds aspects of me comforting- my voice when I sing or talk to him, the way I hold him, my breath on the top of his head, the feel of my heartbeat. It's puzzling to know that another person finds comfort in things I do because I've never considered myself comforting. I guess most kids find comfort in their parents. It's humbling and satisfying to know I can give him comfort and security.

-He is the most delightful little person I've ever had the pleasure and honor of knowing and I can't wait to be witness to everything life has in store for him.



4 comments:

Barefoot Cassandra said...

For just a moment when you said he loves Aunts and Grandparents, I thought you meant our Aunts and Grandparents. Then I realized I was the Aunt, and our parents are the Grandparents.

I laughed so hard at the "touch his face" part! Oh what a way with words you have.

Kateka said...

Ah, I feel jealous. Is that bad? I just wish that you could hold me in your arms! Ha, ha. Teasing. :)

But seriously, the mother/child relationship seems astonishing to me.

kristen said...

whoosh. I love him and I've only seen his cute face like twice. There is nothing in the world like being a mom huh? I often think it's a good thing I didn't know the joy it would bring or I would have tried it out when i was still in a training bra. i can't wait to see him again! i love you!

Anonymous said...

I have always thought how amazing it is that a child knows their parent by these simple things. When Sierra had surgery a few weeks ago and I finally got to go in and see her, a nurse was holding her and she was just screaming. Her eyes were shut and she was on morphine, but as soon as I took her from the nurse and held her close to me, she stopped crying immediately. Later, her dad tried to hold her for a minute but she freaked out again and just wanted her mommy. It's been a long time since I've thought about how she knows me just by touch and sound - probably since she was an infant. It's nice to have those reminders sometimes. I'm glad your little guy is doing so well and I loved hearing all the cute little things about him. :)