Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Truth

Well the truth is I'm having a baby in February. I went private mainly to keep my missionary bro out of the loop for a little longer. I wanted him to get settled and stable on his mission before springing the news on him.
"Oh by the way, I'm preggo. So how is Mexico??!!! How is the companion?!!?? What are YOU up to?"
I'm really excited to become a mom, although I have to be honest...it had to grow on me. In the beginning, it was more of an idea or a concept, rather than a reality. I kept referring to the baby in an informal sense. "I wonder what gender baby will be," or "Do you think fetus can feel me pushing on my stomach?"

My sister finally yelled. "Take claim! Say 'my baby'! Say 'my fetus'! It is yours!"

Finally when I got the ultrasound, it became a reality. I saw the baby, floating around in my belly, totally unaware that people were peering in on it's little bubble of a world from the outside. The baby kicked randomly, stretched it's legs out, wiggled it's toes, tried out the new use of it's growing limbs.

"Wow," I thought. "This is real," and felt tears come to my eyes. "I'm going to be a mama."

"Do you want to know the gender?" the ultrasound tech asked.

"Yes," I said.

"It's a boy!" Then there was much screaming and rejoicing. The ultrasound tech laughed.

"I knew, ALL ALONG, that it was a boy!" I said excitedly, and then to cover my own butt added, "but it wouldn't have made a difference if it was a girl either. Either way is fine." The truth is, I knew it was a boy. I was absolutely, 100% sure, but I didn't tell anyone that I was that sure. Because if it had been a girl, I would have been wrong. And chances were, I very well could have been wrong. Both sides of my family are predominately girls (by about 3 or 4 to 1) so chances that it were a boy were slim. But I knew, and I was glad that I knew. And I'm more excited than ever.

"How sure are you that it is a boy?" I asked the tech.

"Oh, about 99.9% sure," she said. "That is a textbook unit," and pointed to the little pener on the screen.

I'm starting out my family a little non-traditionally, but that is O.K. I'm getting myself where I need to be to be a good mother and better person in general. I've broken bad habits and started good ones, and am associating with supportive, loving, good people. And mainly, I'm trying to become one myself. It's a hard and long path, but I've started it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be a good mom. Tarzan, will be greatly loved in the family.

.::still blinking::. said...

I am excited for you.

.::still blinking::. said...

I still refer to my kid like he is a concept. For instance, "JJ, your child is spitting in my face." Because my child would never do such things.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Barefoot Cassandra said...

I am excited. You are very good with kids, and good at dog dancing. And I am glad to be an Auntie to baby Tarzan.

Aubrey said...

I'm so glad you're finally writing about him! I've been checking your blog for weeks wondering when you will!
I am so excited for you, Sarah. Motherhood is the most rewarding thing I have ever done! You will love that boy with all of your heart, and there is so much joy for you to experience!

Kateka said...

I hope that baby gets your pretty green eyes. Any eye color will be great, but your eyes are gorgeous. I am so excited for the little tyke. Like Aubrey said, I have been anxiously awaiting for you to write about him. You will be a wonderful mother. Just don't play 007 Golden Eye with him, because you are so unfair when you play! :)

Kateka said...

Oh my gosh. I just left a comment and now it is telling me it didn't work. If you didn't get my comment...well I guess I'll find out later. Or I'll just say it again. Sigh.

I hope your little boy has your gorgeous green eyes. I am sure his eyes will be beautiful either way, but I just adore your eye color. In fact I hope I get your eye color too. You will be such a good mother. I am so excited for you! Just don't play 007 Golden Eye with your son because you play so unfair!!! ;)

Tazia said...

I am so excited to meet your little boy as well! I love seeing you and your baby bump. I cant wait for him to come. So many reasons to be excited for February, its the best month to have a birthday too! You are amazing as well. I love you to pieces and am so glad that you started your family. Are we calling your baby Tarzan now? So funny.

Whit said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I would have posted this much sooner but I guess since you went private it won't tell me when you update :( I will just have to click and check more often :)

Congratulations!

Cassie said...

Skinny- excited for the kid to get her.

I LOVE YOU!!!