Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's been far too long since I've done anything remotely active, so yesterday I went lap swimming at the fitness center with my sister. I discovered lap swimming about a year ago after my half marathon when I decided I hate running and would avoid running another step for the remainder of my natural life. And thus came about my love for lap swimming. I did it once and immediately went and bought new swim caps, nose plugs, and goggles. I was convinced that I would break no records or even try for something like that, but that I would swim every night forever. I would leave the pool feeling exhausted and content, like I had done something grueling and hard and totally satisfying. I looked like this:
but felt like this: (or at least wanted to marry this). And then after several months of swimming at least an hour every night, I quit suddenly. No reason. I sometimes do that. So last night when she called and told me to meet her at the gym, I was so excited. I got there late, and only spent 20 minutes swimming, but it is a start. I love to finish a lap and hold onto the edge of the pool and feel my heart pounding through my whole body. I'm glad to be doing it again.

Note: The highlight of the night was when I walked into the men's dressing room on accident. I saw a naked, flabby, old man figure in the shower and stopped in my tracks. "Something's not right here," my brain registered, and I turned around and screamed a little as I ran out of the room, almost slipping on the wet floor.

4 comments:

Kateka said...

Sigh, I love a good swim. Take me with you next time.

Tazia said...

I love lap swimming, and also hate running, but I feel like I can really push myself when I am swimming. I also want to go with you next time and promise not to scream when you see me in a swimsuit. Lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi, how are you? I am sending you this comment, because I am serching for blogger friends, and your site is interesting to me. I have an art blog here in San Diego, and I am curious if you would become my freind? Are you up to it?
I hope to see you soon on my art blog, and take care,
Sincerely,
Jesse

Meg said...

You're pretty funny! Love the ending to your story here. Happy Birthday (yesterday?)