So this is real, apparently, and something that happens to people other than myself. Interesting. I've had it for several years, and always just assumed I was the only one experiencing it, or that I was just a very vivid dreamer.
With the sleep paralyzation, sometimes I "wake up" in my dreams, or know that I am sleeping and am begging, and sometimes screaming with all of my might, for someone to wake me up. All I can do is lie there, completely paralyzed and scream or beg for someone to wake me up. Sometimes I dream that someone is in the room with me and I have a conversation with them about them waking me up. Sometimes I can open my eyes (I'm not sure if I actually do or not) and see my room exactly as it is as I am sleeping. Always I feel like 1,000 pounds of weight that cannot move and am completely desperate to wake up. Additionally, I'm always exhausted and terrified by the inability to wake up when I know I am asleep.
Sometimes I can force out phrases like, "Wake me up," and I am absolutely sure I am actually talking in my sleep and that if someone was next to me as I slept, they could hear me say it. Unfortunately, I don't sleep next to anyone so thus I have to deal with the sleep paralyzation until it passes. I don't have hallucinations about spiders or snakes, so that is good, I suppose.
I also have lucid dreams, which are incredible, and in which I realize I am dreaming and control what happens in my dreams. I had a lucid dream several weeks ago in which I realized I was dreaming and instead of rushing through the dream, I chose to explore the setting. It was a house, and I looked through all the rooms and at certain objects that interested me. It's an incredible feeling to wake up and know you've controlled your own dream.
I'm almost certain that the reason I've experienced lucid dreaming is because I can recall my dreams in great detail when I wake up and because I used to keep a dream journal in which I would write about my dreams once I woke up.
Has anyone else ever experienced lucid dreams or sleep paralyzation before? Maybe it's just me and I'm a crazy dreamer, but I'm hoping others have experienced them too. :)
5 comments:
That is really weird, Sarah! I've never known anyone that has that problem. Is there anything you can do to fix it?
Stuart is the craziest sleeper ever. I was going to write about his sleep paralysis but haven't yet. He will mumble in his sleep sometimes so that I will wake him up. Scares me to bits.
When I was training for marathons, I used to dream that I was running my hardest and just bouncing in place. I could not get any forward motion.
I also have several dreams that repeat. They are usually about houses of people we love. I have dreamed up secret passages in their houses as well as secret rooms. I have dreams about the Red Cliffs. They are totally haunting.
I also dream about things that actually happen. Like seeing the future. I dreamed about Gentry, a little blond boy holding my hand and helping me be good, before I was even thinking about getting pregnant.
I have since dreamed about a little girl who looks like me. We were at Adele's house.
I dreamed about my first speeding ticket three times before it happened.
I had several weird marriage dreams about the guy I was dating before jj. They were all telling me not to marry him.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but my dreams are like a good friend to me. I trust them to direct me.
Gabe and I have always just thought you were tired:) I had no idea you actually couldn't wake up on your own. This is scary! I would have been a better roommate and jumped on your cute butt had I known that you were actually in some sort of dream paralysis. You should send this to your college professors. Maybe they will sympathize and bump up some old grades-they should. Whoosh. Well, I love you and think you are darling-sleep disorder or not.
I have had dreams like that- I think many people have. I believe that dreams are often ways our subconscious is bringing up feelings or things we might be ready to work on... that has been my experience for myself and with others. When you 'interpret' your dreams, it can be helpful to realize that usually everyone and everything in your dream actually represents some part of you.
Post a Comment