I drove back from Salt Lake this weekend to discover there was an egg in the nest of our birds. We've had them for one week, and they've already reproduced! This morning, there was another egg in the nest. The lady at Petsmart said that Grace Kelly would keep popping out an egg a day for who knows how long. She also said matter-of-factly that if we did not want baby birds, we simply had to dispose of the eggs. My roommate (the one who does not own one of the horny birds) told us it was murder, and how could we kill an innocent baby bird? Perhaps I have no soul, but I was willing to get rid of the eggs. I can't imagine trying to care for 3, or 4, or 17 birds and the noise and mess it would make. On the other hand, the birds are just adorable making their little nest and sitting on the eggs, being all parental and caring. On the other hand, I'm worried if we do dispose of them, we'll have baby birds hatching in our trash can in a few weeks.
My roommate and I decided we would have to get rid of the eggs, but how? She suggested going outside and throwing them as far as she could. I thought perhaps we could fry them up and eat them with a piece of toast, you know, a little finch sandwich. Ok, not really. Sick. What is one to do with finch eggs? Let them hatch? Is this a matter of ethics?
No comments:
Post a Comment