Sunday, November 19, 2006

Healthy

I've been losing weight recently. This is super exciting to me, as I've always been moderately to highly weight-conscious. By "weight-conscious," I mean I've conscious of my weight, but also conscious I don't do anything to change it.

In the past 3 weeks, I have dropped 5.6 lbs. I am able to calculate the .6 because my roommate owns a scale that can judge my weight precisely to the decimal and tell me if I am on the thin side or the fat side of a pound.

This recent loss has been a "weight-conscious" type of thing- I've been conscious it's been dropping, but not doing anything to cause the drop, except perhaps not eating real meals. Quite frankly, I'm too poor to eat real meals anymore. I have a job that I average 10-15 hours a week. I could get a job with more hours, but the 10-15 hours a week provides me with enough time for school, money to pay rent, pay utilities, and eat real meals once in a while and half meals or snacks all the other time.

It's not that I don't eat food anymore. If, for example, I normally eat chicken, bread, and a salad for a meal, I now eat that much but at two different times of the day or in two different meals.

I've become fond of salads. I've found that I can make about 5-7 salads with one head of lettuce and the head of lettuce only costs about two dollars. My sisters and I went on a road trip to Las Vegas this summer and we ate at a fancy Italian restaurant inside the Venetian. Horrified at the prices (the average meal was $32), I got a salad for $10. It was a salad of dark green romano lettuce, olive oil, pine nuts, raisins, mozzarella, and strips of grilled chicken. It was the best salad I've ever had, and after I got to college, I went to the store and bought all the makings for a copycat salad, minus the strips of grilled chicken (too expensive). I live off these. I've never been a salad connoisseur before, but I really can't get enough of these now.

Other than that, I eat toast with sugar-free jam, cereal with ff milk, and herbal tea. Of course I eat other things, but these are my main dishes. I'm not complaining about these food groups of mine. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't eat them obviously. I'm just glad that what I am eating (and not eating) is helping me become healthier and thinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I love it when I am skinnier. I have not had myself weighed since right after the baby was born. No matter what the number is I hate it. However, as long as my jeans fit I am happy and that is all that I worry about. If they are getting tight I know I need to cut back and work out more.