Monday, August 07, 2006

Doom and Happiness

Several months ago my dad came home with a leftover piece of chocolate cake from Joe's Crab Shack. I'm not the biggest fan of cake in general, but I pulled the cake out of the refrigerator and after a few bites, I admit somewhat shamefully that I consumed the whole thing (several thousand calories for just that piece alone). This was the best cake I'd ever had. This was unlike the usual too-dry, floury cake mixes you pick up from Wal-mart for 89 cents. This was a gourmet cake. The cake itself was so dense and rich that it oozed with what seemed like rich chocolate sauce. How, I ask you, do they get cake to ooze? It was unnatural and divine.
This influence of this cake spread to my whole family, as my dad was soon bringing home four pieces at a time (approximate cost per slice...$5.00).
I became dedicated to the cause of discovering the source of this cake. I searched online for the recipe, but to no avail. Then I remembered several years ago my sister's friend Emma had made a similar cake for a party at our house. "Emma," I had asked her timidly, "can I have the recipe for this cake?"
"Sure," she said. "It's called The Chocolate Cake That's Got It All. I just found it online."
Remembering this, I looked it up, and there it was. I printed off the recipe and with the help of my cake-baking-genius mom, got to work. Two hours and about 27 dirty bowls later, the four layer cake was made. 9 out of 10 people prefer this cake to regular cake mix cake, and for now, it looks as if we've found the perfect chocolate cake (aside from Joe's, of course).
I

2 comments:

.::still blinking::. said...

Could you put the recipe on here. I want to try it too.

SJ said...

Click on the title of the blog "The Chocolate Cake That's Got It All" and it should take you there, hopefully.